Sagar Aryal (Nepali: सागर अर्याल) is a microbiologist and a scientific blogger. He is the founder of an educational website, Microbe Notes. He has published more than 15 research articles and book chapters in international journals and well-renowned publishers.
Sagar Aryal was born in Palpa and raised in Kathmandu, Nepal. He did his schooling at Kathmandu Don Bosco School and higher education from Himalayan White House International College.
Education and Career
Sagar Aryal attended St. Xavier’s College, Maitighar, Kathmandu, Nepal to complete his Master of Science in Microbiology. He co-founded Kathmandu Research Institute for Biological Sciences (KRIBS) in 2017 to focus on the research and development of tools and techniques with an aim to enable the study of biological sciences. He is the Research Head of the Department of Natural Products, Kathmandu Research Institute for Biological Sciences (KRIBS). Aryal worked as a Lecturer in St. Xavier’s College, Maitighar, Kathmandu, Nepal from Feb 2015 to June 2019. After teaching microbiology for more than four years, he joined the Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University to pursue his Ph.D. in collaboration with Helmholtz-Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (HIPS), Saarbrucken, Germany. He is interested in research related to actinobacteria, myxobacteria, and natural products. Aryal started his blogging career from Microbiology Info and later continued with Microbe Notes, The Biology Notes, The Chemistry Notes, and A-Level Biology Notes. He has traveled to more than 10 countries (Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Slovakia, Czech Republic, China, and India) to present his research work.
Selected Research Paper and Book Chapter Publications
- Isolation, Characterization, and Screening of Antimicrobial-Producing Actinomycetes from Soil Samples.
- Microbial diversity in freshwater and marine environment.
- Characterization and activity of antimicrobial polypeptide of Bacillus spp from wastelands of Kathmandu valley.
- Wildlife Diplomacy and Gifting in the Hindu Kush-Himalaya Region: A Chronological History and Opinion of Nepalese Literates.
- Novel Streptomyces Sp. Reported in 2018: A Meta-Analysis.
- Review on Newly Identified Coronavirus and its Genomic Organization.
New Paper Article Publications
- Nipah alert on myRepublica (https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.com/news/43656/).
- Outbreak on The Kathmandu Post (https://kathmandupost.com/opinion/2018/02/13/outbreak).
Awards and Recognitions
- SfAM Communications Award- Professional Communicator Category Winner (https://kathmandupost.com/miscellaneous/2015/09/04/nepali-microbiologist-wins-international-award).
- Microbiology Society Champion (https://microbiologysociety.org/blog/these-are-the-champions-sagar-aryal.html).
- Iversity Ambassador (https://iversity.org/blog/presenting-our-ambassadors/).
- LabTwin Ambassador (https://www.labtwin.com/twentynine).